.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It Has a Name

I have long been interested in the way computers reason about things. I've wanted to make computers make better and more informed decisions about things to make them easier to use and more robust against unexpected events.
This has been an interest of mine for many years. I've been interested in artificial intelligence for as long as I can remember, and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for multi-agent systems.
It turns out, that all these things that I like are now being lumped together under the umbrella of Autonomic Computing. The concept was outlined by Paul Horn, Senior VP of IBM Research in a paper a couple of years ago.
It calls for systems to be self-configuring, self-healing, self-optimizing and self-protecting, and it explains why systems should have these properties, and talks about why autonomic computing is needed. I completely agree on every point in the paper.
It is interesting that my master's thesis project, which I didn't really think would involve this kind of stuff, has brought me to a point where I can combine my interests, put a name on the amalgamation, and actually get to work with them.
All in all, very cool stuff.
This post sounded much better in my head before writing it down, but feh, it's out there anyway, and it is time for me to leave the office.

Another absolutely amazing thing that my research has brought me is this. It's a short story by Cory Doctorow (author and co-editor of Boing Boing)about hacking the human body with technology. I remember reading it a couple of years back and absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, I lost the link to it some how, and I've been searching for it ever since, but with no results. Until today.
If you like sci-fi and technology, this is a must read. It is awesome!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home