.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Right Career

I've been reading up on a lot of expat links recently (that's expatriot, as is someone who leave their native land), and all I can find is low paying banking jobs. Also, I keep reading that IT is dead as a career, and people advice me to move on to something else.
The thing is, I didn't choose IT as a career, I have it as a passion. I love working in IT, computers is my live, so you'll excuse me if I don't just turn my coat to the wind and give up when it seems convenient.
Apparently, banking and finance is the sector to be in as an expat. At least outside Europe (which is where I want to go). The proposed salaries are what mostly gets me though. I was reading about Malaysia just now, and they said that someone fresh out of university (which apparently means a B.Sc., not an M.Sc., for some reason) would make the equivalent of around 400 Euros per month. Hell, I get twice that from the government in study aid. Just my rent in my student house is currently 350. I realize that the cost of living might be less, but it can't be that much less.
How does one make enough money in Asia? Do I have to stick to Europe to get a proper salary?
It would be convenient, as I could just move wherever the hell I wanted without having to think about visas and stuff, but it's not what I want.
My heart has belonged to Asia for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it is the cultural contrast, or just my love of the times I've actually spent in Asia, but I do know that I need to go back, and not just for a week on the beach (even if I could use one of those right now).
As some of you already know, I have more or less given up on the middle east as a possible place to move. The risk of being randomly imprisoned for weird things just doesn't fly (which is, incidentally, the reason I refuse to set foot in the US too...).

Handling people's money, or preferably handing the money of people who handles peoples money has always been lucrative. The problem, I think, is that people forget that to do this you need all the other amenities of life. You can't earn money on an empty stomach, and you sure as hell can't survive in the financial world without computers.
Mark my words. There will be a time when everyone has said "we don't need computer people anymore", that those of us who have stood by our passion will be redeemed. When all the posers are long gone, we will command a premium.

We will do it, because it is our pleasure!

T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will not come to Aqaba. Not for money...
Auda abu Tayi: No.
T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...
Auda abu Tayi: No!
T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will come... because it is his pleasure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home