.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Monday, December 25, 2006

Aladdin

Not only for Christmas, but for any occasion, or just when you want to indulge yourself, the Swedish people have purchased boxes of chocolates called Aladdin. Since their introduction around 1939, the contents of these boxes has varied, but with a certain theme, and some special favourites making it in to the box year after year.
Personally, I have witnessed some changes to the selection of chocolates. Some have come, some have gone, but I dare say that about 2/3 of them have always been the same, in my lifetime.

Until today.

I got two of these boxes for Christmas, my dad brought them down from Sweden to Holland. I open one of them, intent on taking that first luscious piece of chocolate that I seem to remember being called the "noisette". I know where in the box it is. I know that it's been there for as long as I can remember, and I also know that it's always been my favourite. I'd go so far as to say that the entire box is worth it, if I can snag that delicious piece of chocolate.
So you can imagine my surprise when I open the box to find it not only containing some new pieces, but it is MISSING the piece that tied the whole box together. This one piece that ALWAYS disappears before the others. The defining piece of chocolate for this box is GONE!
Not gone as in taken by some nefarious chocolate company employee, but it's completely gone from the box. They don't make it anymore, it's no longer part of the official Aladdin line up.
Shit, I almost burst into tears. It's like the rest of the box just isn't worth it without that twisted little piece of chocolate.

A piece of history died today. Not James Brown, he's dead too, but the crown jewel of piece chocolates is dead. I don't know what will replace the sorrow in my heart (read stomach), now that the king is dead. With a little luck, they'll bow to public opinion and bring it back, but all I can do now is hope. Maybe I should write them a letter.

Something needs to be done. We want our chocolate back!

I can't even find a picture of it...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home