.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What the hell is wrong with me?

Why can't I run? Why can't I, after more than two months of regular running, run without leg and/or lower back pain? Two months is what it generally takes people to get fit enough to run 5km without stopping. I have to push myself to the limit to run 5km in 800m intervals in 30 minutes.
You would have thought that I would have settled in to a nice pace and stride by now, but no. It's an eternal fucking struggle against the pain and the awkwardness of running.

I can imagine that most people, after running for a couple of weeks, settle in to something akin to walking at a higher pace. You don't really have to think about the technique, you just do it. Me, on the other hand, I have to think about every fucking step. It doesn't matter what I do, I can't seem to get a good thing going.

As if that wasn't enough, the pain just keeps coming back. I recently took a week off from running to heal my legs. I started back up on Monday, and it took about 500m before the pain was back again. Same locations, shins and calves. Not to mention the lower back, but that doesn't set in until about 750m.

The worst things is that I know what causes all these problems, and I've done everything in my power to alleviate the problem, but nothing works. I've tried long stride, short strides, hig knees, straight legs, landing on my heel, landing on my full foot, landing on my toes, landing with my leg straight, with my leg bend. Nothing I do takes the pain away, NOTHING!

What the hell am I doing wrong? I've read just about everything I can get my hands on about my problem, and tried everything therein to fix it, but it has all been for nothing. I'm going to give it a couple of more months. If I can't run 5km without stopping and without pain by the time fall rolls around, I'm going to consider running a dead sport to me.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing this would be my crappy bio-mechanical conditions. My foot arches are different from each other, my feet are of different size, my legs are of different lengths, and I have suffered from a lot of back pain in the past, due in part to this. Getting a proper chair fixed almost all my back problems instantly, but apparently that doesn't extend to running.

I hate the situation I'm in, and I don't want to quit, but I'm affraid that I might have to. If I do quit I won't do it without having given it a proper try. By the time september rolls around I will have been running for five months. If my problems haven't been solved by then, I'm affraid I'm going to have to admit defeat.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • My friend from växjö has a pair of magic shoes that he uses to walk, his doc said absofuckinglutely no running in these, but if you walk in them to build up significant strength in your feet and legs, it might in return aid your running, they'r designed to simulate like how we are supposed to travel, on friggin moss and soil, not cement nor tarmac.
    they'r called http://www.swissmasai.se/

    Enjoy :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, August 1, 2008 at 10:11:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home