.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Shooting Blind

Literally. Apparently if you live in Texas and have a hunting license, you're allowed to go hunting even if you can't see. (Ok, so the article is about an aid they can use, but it's what got my attention)

...

So, let me get this straight. You can be out in the woods. Where other people are. Carrying a loaded weapon, and also be allowed to fire said weapon.
Am I the only one who finds this terribly frightening? I'm all for hunting; game tastes good, and if you go way back, people hunted their food, but blind people do not hunt out of necessity. They never did. They either died, or someone else hunted for them. More to the point, blind people do not have any reason to shoot guns.
Seriously, what's wrong with people. How the hell would you get a hunting license in the first place if you are blind?

I'm all for people with disabilities being able to do most, if not all, of what other members of society can do, but there are certain limitations, and people should respect them.

It's not like they're letting blind people drive. Hell, I don't even know if deaf people can drive.

And according to the article, there's now some sort of laser aiming device to help them hit what they're (supposedly) aiming at.
What the hell? How do you aim if you are blind? How do you do it? Deaf people can't listen any more than blind people can see. I realize that you might be able to cook up some sound device for aiming, but I doubt we're quite there yet.

Stuff like this just makes me even happier that I'm never ever living in that absolute horror of a country.

I like shooting guns just as much as the next guy (I mean, we're men here, who hasn't played guns or cowboys and indians when they were kids), but that doesn't mean that anyone should be allowed to own or carry one, let alone walk around with them loaded anywhere they damn well please.

Getting a license to own a gun is fine, or if you have an actual reason for owning a gun. Waiting 7 days to get a hand gun isn't responsible gun ownership, it's just postponing the inevitable.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home