.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Who is responsible?

Why do I hear things like "why didn't you talk to me last night?", or "why didn't you call?"?
Since when it is my implied responsibility to make sure I speak to everyone who wants me to talk to them? Has it not dawned on these people that maybe they should come up and talk to me?
Sure, when I'm doing my best to avoid people, this comment might be justified, but there's got to be an equal responsibility built in here somewhere. If you want to talk to someone or if you want someone to talk to you, you are just as responsible for making that happen as the other person.
Sure, I'm generally the guy who calls people, or who initiates contact, so to speak, but just because that's how it usually is, doesn't mean that I don't want to be approached by people.
In fact, if people took it upon themselves to be a little proactive every once in a while, instead of waiting for other people to do everything for them, people wouldn't be so disappointed all the damn time.

If there's something out there that you want, it's up to you to seize it. Don't ever expect anybody to do anything for you. You are in charge of your own life!

Actually, there's a pretty good quote that goes with this, from Ferris Buellers Day Off:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. /Ferris Bueller

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home