.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Visit to Utrecht

Yesterday saw a visit from tons of tiny SMIT people to the city of Utrecht in Holland.
We got on the train at 11 in the morning, and proceeded to fuck about on said train for 2 hours, until we reached our destination.
Utrecht really looks like a nice city. It's got these former store rooms just on the canals, that have now been turned into stores, homes and restaurants. Very shaggadelic, if I do say so myself.
We went on a boat tour that took us around the old canal, and showed us some nice parts of the city. We, unfortunately, didn't get to walk around that much in the city to look at it from a pedestrian point of view, but people tell me that the canals are what you are there to see anyway, so I guess we came out ahead.
We also climbed the 468 (or so) steps to the top of Holland's highest church tower. Standing at 95 meters above the ground, I really got to work on my issues with falling. The stairs were kind of a bitch, but not so much because there were many of them, but the fact that the top most 40 meters took place in a really really small spiral. Walking up was bad, walking down was terrible. I felt like I was going to either fall out of every window I saw, or fall down the stairs and take the entire group with me. Luckily, none of those things happened, and I found myself safe back on the ground.

While most people left sometime after dinner, 7 brave people defied the weather and stuck around to get hammered. The concept was, drink as much as you can, so that we're still drunk on the train home. It worked. As I was getting off the train back in Enschede, I was getting pretty sober. I figured "hey, it's just 2 o'clock, I'm going to call my house mates and see what's up". Of course, I didn't, but went straight home, to find an extremely empty house.
In retrospect, I should have called them, because at around 5.30, when I was trying my best to get some sleep, the entire house came home, and made it extremely hard for me to sleep, so on came the clothes, and down to the kitchen I went.

All in all it was a good day and a good night. I do believe that I'll go back to Utrecht, but I think I'll wait until spring, when I can walk around properly and not have to look at the rotting flora everywhere.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home