.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Monday, March 19, 2007

Better School = Higher Expectations

I just read that Twente University came in 7:th place in this years ACM ICPC.
The ACM ICPC is a worldwide programming competition, kind of like the olympics, or the world championships. My current school placed 7:th, and I don't even know if my previous school even tried out. The best Swedish school on the list came in 26:th place with half of the problems solved.
Shared 26:th I should say, together with around 20 others.

This positioning seems to reflect the skill and the expectation difference between my previous and current educational institute. At my old school I flew by without actually exerting myself, and I was something like top3-5 in most of my courses. Here I'm working my nuts of, and I'm still not making the grade. Sure, I pass my course, some even with good grades, but it's at the expense of 60-80 hour work weeks, and much mental suffering on my part. The worst things is feeling inadequate in a field where you used to excel.
It seems like I've been knocked down several pegs on the ladder of prowess.

I am a carpenter among architects.

And it bothers me to no end. Feelings of inadequacy are right up there with death as the toppers of my greatest fears. (For most people the number one is speaking in public. I love doing that though, but I'm a bit of an attention monkey, so that might be why.)

This quarter especially has been one of way too much work for me. I can't remember last time I had a weekend of that wasn't during christmas break. This has got to change, but I have no real recipe for making this happen.

One thing I do know for sure though is that I'll never be part of a team bound for the ACM ICPC...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I ran into your blog accidentally and decided to comment on this:

    "One thing I do know for sure though is that I'll never be part of a team bound for the ACM ICPC..."

    I never thought I would make it to the ACM ICPC, but I did! It wasn't easy; it took lots of practice and great friends for me to qualify.

    There are many factors for anybody to get to the ICPC, but the best you can do is try. My thoughts. :)

    (Oh. You should also see if you are eligible.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 26, 2007 at 6:56:00 AM GMT+2  

  • Hmm, insightful comment. I have never actually aimed for it, but checking eligibility might be fun =)

    By Blogger Markus, at Sunday, April 1, 2007 at 1:37:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home