.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Movie Plot Terrorist Threats

Normally I try not to report stuff that Bruce Schneier writes in his blog, since I link to the blog here on the right, but for those of you who don't read it, I felt like I just had to tell you about this.
Bruce held a competition, petitioning his readers.

Your goal: invent a terrorist plot to hijack or blow up an airplane with a commonly carried item as a key component. The component should be so critical to the plot that the TSA will have no choice but to ban the item once the plot is uncovered. I want to see a plot horrific and ridiculous, but just plausible enough to take seriously.

Make the TSA ban wristwatches. Or laptop computers. Or polyester. Or zippers over three inches long. You get the idea.

Your entry will be judged on the common item that the TSA has no choice but to ban, as well as the cleverness of the plot. It has to be realistic; no science fiction, please. And the write-up is critical; last year the best entries were the most entertaining to read.

He got massive responses, and in the end he picked three finalists. They are all incredibly good reads, but the winner, as published in this blog post, is the best by far. Completely credible, and quite doable. You just have to read it. If nothing else, read the last couple of paragraphs to see what the TSA would have to bad, absolutely incredible.
I wanted to blog about this when I first read it, but I constrained myself. Now that Slate put up a piece on it, I could no longer keep my peace.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home