.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Royale With Cheese

Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.


See, we're just a little bit better than you in this side of the pond!
There was a post on slashdot today about how it's really difficult to get the Americans to move over to the beloved metric system, and I think I have the answer.

Observe:

The biggest reason is the number of syllables in the equivalent measurements:

yard (1) = meter (2)
foot (1) = well, meter I guess. (2)
inch (1) = centimeter (4)
mile (1) = kilometer (4)
pound (1) = kilo (2) or kilogram (3)

It's pure LAZINESS that is preventing the large mass of the population of converting.

Thus, if Americans were willing to give it some effort and actually get in to the spirit of things, they might actually change. I will admit that when speaking with Americans (and Canadians for that matter) I will convert into feet/inches for the sake of their understanding, as I am also lazy sometimes, but it would be better if I didn't have to.
My English is, after all, from new york, so you'll forgive me if the metric system doesn't exactly roll off my tongue. It's all about practise. In Swedish, I use the metric system at all times.
If people got into the thing with using the metric system when speaking English, I'm sure it would seem less alien after a while.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home