.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Monday, October 12, 2009

Photography Is Hard!

I'm two months in to my D90 ownership, and I'm totally in love with this camera. What I'm not as excited about, however, are my pictures. I have zero creative vision. I can look at other pictures and go "ohh, that's a nice one", but there are very few of my own that elicit such praise. From me other others (in fact noone else has said that about any of my pictures, but then again only very few of them are online). I suppose I could whore around for comments and faves on flickr, but I'd rather have pictures that I'm really happy with myself, first. Then (if ever) get the recognition of others.

I think one of the reasons for my lack of creativity is this terrible city that I live in. Brussels has got to be the grayest, most boring, least interesting place on earth to live in. Shit, a hole in the ground probably has more things to look at. Don't get me wrong, I have a great life... ...I just wish I was living it elsewhere... =/

Anyway, drop by (flickr) and leave a comment, if you feel one is warranted. Or if you just want to cheer me up ;)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • You know, back in the days of the 35mm film cameras, they used to say that your first 1000 shots are just to get the feeling of it, and only then you start taking photos. Now, with the availability of the digital camera, I would say that after your first 10,ooo shots you can start talking about photos.

    Best thing is not to give up taking photos, and focus not necessarily on why other photos look great, but on what yours are missing. Try being descriptive and specific in what you like/don't like about your work ,and what is missing. An inspiring environment -yes, is a good start :)

    Check out on photo.net some decent works in ubiquitous places, and also some great shots, truly classics.

    Good luck with photography, it's one of the most time-consuming (and expensive) hobbies. Hope to see more of your work.

    By Blogger Mihai Oprea, at Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 9:26:00 AM GMT+2  

  • I recently ran an app on my pictures to give me some statistics. I've taken around 5800 pictures with my d90 so far, in just over 3 months. I guess I'll hit 10k by xmas, if I shoot at this rate. The cold, of course, makes going out to shoot a bit more difficult, but I'm sure I'll manage, somehow...

    I'm already on flickr, so I don't think I'll go for photo.net as well, other than as a resource for learning. There's more information out there than I can ever hope to consume, hehe.

    By Blogger Markus, at Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 6:27:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home