.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

filling the void

Monday, November 19, 2007

Browser Wars

Another casualty.
I use Netscape 7.2 as my browser. It's great, it's fast, it's got a wonderful email client, and it uses an old gecko rendering engine (the same that was in firefox circa 2004) that does virtually anything you ask of it.
I say virtually, because one application (that I don't particularly like) has fallen off the wagon and now prohibits me from clicking buttons.
This application is facebook.com.
Whenever I go to respond to a message or accepting a friend request anything that involves any kind of submission, it just does not play ball. It doesn't give me an error message either, so I can't know it has actually failed. It just sits there as if the action I just took was lost somewhere between my mouse and my browser.
It used to work well up until a couple of weeks ago. Did my rendering engine deteriorate all of a sudden, or are the writers of facebook total asshats that will change a working solution to a non-working one without adding any other benefits?
I would have been more willing to accept it if they had some explanation like "as part of an upgrade, clicking a button will not dispense candy from your cd-rom drive, but as a result clicking buttons in Netscape 7.2 will not work".
I would have even settled for something less extravagant, but they have given me nothing, and yet taken a core feature away from me.
Now, I really hate to have an account on that glorified address book, but since "everybody is doing it", I figure I have to throw mine in with the rest.
At least until now.

From now on, please, those of you who read this. Don't contact me on facebook. I don't want to have to fire up another browser just to answer some message that could be sent to me via a plethora of other services (email being one).
People who don't have any other means of contacting me than via facebook, fine, you do that, but the rest of you. Please choose another proven means of communication where I don't have to suffer needlessly.
I would change browsers, if it wasn't for the fact that they all suck. I guess Opera is ok, but it still can't stand up to the awesome performance my Netscape 7.2.

Also, for hitherto unknown reasons, I get a "500 internal Server Error" when I try to use the blogger spell check.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • There are several popular and widely used applications, that for a reason or another do not function properly with a particular browser.

    For instance, the Google RSS Reader "go offline" feature only works with Mozilla and IE. I had to discontinue using Opera for this reason.

    My blog host, Wordpress, also has some features which don't work with Netscape or Opera.

    So I'm not surprised that the lousy interface that Face book has won't give you any clue about what went wrong.

    What do you expect from a hybrid between a dating service, address book, classifieds and online gaming?

    By Blogger Mihai Oprea, at Tuesday, November 20, 2007 at 10:19:00 AM GMT+1  

  • Mihai, I couldn't have said it better:"hybrid between a dating service, address book, classifieds and online gaming"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 10:27:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home